Upton Place, Northampton
A project to extend the town and promote sustainable urban growth
Along with key partners, Keepmoat developed this high-quality Urban Boulevard with 324 contemporary new homes, creating the main focus for Upton and future communities within adjacent developments. Upton Place was named as one of the top ten places to live outside London by the Telegraph newspaper.
The scope of the project:
Upton Place is a mixed tenure residential scheme with a number of commercial elements and a large extra care facility on a total site area of 14.8 acres. It forms the beginning of the new Urban Boulevard into Northampton from the west and creates a ‘gateway’ into the site.
As well as the new homes - ideal for first time buyers, couples and growing families - the development is made up of a pub, café/restaurant, convenience store and a series of retail units. Upton Place is also enhanced with a high-quality public area which incorporates numerous trees together with integrated public artwork.
The project - to create an extension to Northampton that would promote best practice in sustainable urban growth - involved the delivery of new homes under the guidance of a design code, thus breaking the typical housing estate mould.
What we have achieved:
- A highly-desirable urban village which is nationally recognised
- Rejuvenated the sense of ‘community’ by delivering quality design, sustainability and economic improvements
- Created well-defined blocks with mews lanes and secure parking courts providing parking, rear access to dwellings and communal ‘pocket’ spaces
Key features and outcomes:
- Designing a sustainable development and minimising the environmental impact was achieved by complying with the following quality standards, as set out in the design code:
- Quality Places (Design Statements, BFL, Secured by Design and Integration of Tender)
- Quality Homes and Buildings (CFSH, BREEAM, LTH, Space Standards, Noise, Overheating and Fire Safety)
- Construction Quality (Construction Efficiency, Re-use of Resources, CEEQUAL and Health and Safety)
- Rewarding Quality and Delivering Locally (Community engagement, Deliverability and Financial Capacity)
Homes and Communities Agency, Northampton Borough Council, Guinness South, Princes Foundation
324 new homes
Description of Works
New build homes, commercial units and extra care facility
2012 - Current